[BlueOnyx:03214] Happy new year and happy birthday BlueOnyx (+attn: all SpamAssassin users)

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Jan 1 16:44:54 -05 2010

Hi all,

I whish you all a happy new year and hope you had (and have!) a great start
into 2010!

A year ago BlueOnyx was released and we've come quite a long way since then.
We can't be really sure how many people are using it, but our (inaccurate)
tallies show that around 2500 BlueOnyx servers frequently use our YUM
repositories for updates. Which isn't a bad start.

The server that runs BlueOnyx also decided to have a small party (with
Gremlins) and therefore the list has been down for a couple of hours today.
There were like 600 processes running inside the VPS that runs the list and
additionally the installed SpamAssassin was affected by the
"FH_DATE_PAST_20XX"-bug, which assigned a (small) score to all messages with a
date of 2010.

Both problems have been fixed.

Solarspeed.net customers with the AV-SPAM should run "yum update" to update
their SpamAssassin to a fixed version. Everyone else with a manually installed
SpamAssassin should take a look at their /var/log/maillog to see if incomming
messages hit the "FH_DATE_PAST_20XX" rule. If that's the case, you should
perform the following three steps:

1.) Edit /usr/share/spamassassin/72_active.cf and find this section:

##{ FH_DATE_PAST_20XX
header   FH_DATE_PAST_20XX     Date =~ /20[1-9][0-9]/ [if-unset: 2006]
describe FH_DATE_PAST_20XX     The date is grossly in the future.
##} FH_DATE_PAST_20XX

Comment them out by putting a "#" in front of the two lines in the middle.

2.) Edit /usr/share/spamassassin/50_scores.cf and find this line:

score FH_DATE_PAST_20XX 2.075 3.384 3.554 3.188 # n=2

Also comment it out by putting a "#" in front of it.

3.) Restart SpamAssassin. Typically that's done with this command:

/etc/init.d/spamassassin restart

But that may depend on how your SpamAssassin is implemented.