[BlueOnyx:03271] Re: dns issue

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Jan 6 13:56:15 -05 2010

Luis Rojas - Avalon Global wrote:

> #1: You have 2 nameservers with 2 serial numbers.  THATS BAD.
>
> 64.141.17.140: 2009112403
>
> 64.141.17.198: 2010010616
>

> -should 64.141.17.140 be updating automatically from .198?

I would imagine... but that would be up to you and how you have your
servers configured.

> #2: Your SOA is reporting "ww2.avalonglobal.com" as a nameserver, but
>
> your registrar is reporting ns2.avalonglobal.com & ns1.avalonglobal.com.
>
>    Fix your SOA.
>

> -not sure how to go about fixing this.

In the SOA section of the DNS configuration for the domain.  You'll find
fields for the admin email address and the authoritative nameservers.

> #3: Both your nameservers are doing recursive lookups.   Close that hole
>
> and turn off caching.
>

> -not sure how to fix this issue either any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

In your DNS configuration screen, just uncheck to allow caching.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services