[BlueOnyx:03343] Ready to CMU from BQ to BX

Jim Dory jdory at nomealaska.org
Fri Jan 15 15:39:22 -05 2010

I've got a new server to migrate my old Bluequartz install to the new
BlueOnyx. I've installed the latest BX disk image and updated.

The server is basically an email/web server for one virtual site, with
several email users. I'm going to try to do this with minimal down time
(duh).
I've got the old server, on a DMZ of the firewall (xxx.xxx.2.xxx), is
raqbackup'ing to a backup server on the internal lan (xxx.xxx.1.xxx)- so
the cmuExports are on that backup server.
I've currently configured the new server with an ip address on the
internal lan rather than the DMZ as I will want it to keep the same IP
address when I move the new in to replace the old.
So I plan to WinSCP the cmuExport files from the backup server to the
new one.
Then I should be able to just do a cmuImport with no options to install
the virtual site and users to the new server. If I understand right, it
will set up the virtual site with the ipaddress the same as it was - the
DMZ address - so I would only have to then take the old server offline,
plug the new in after changing the main ipaddress to the DMZ one.
I think I also have to then quickly copy over the mail spools of the
users (seems I had to do that when going from raq to Bluequartz). Not
sure the best way, but probably before moving things I will copy them
from old server to backup server, take old server offline so I don't
have ip conflicts with the virtual site, and copy them to the new
virtual site from the backup server. (Or, does cmu do mail spools now?)

  Hopefully someone can suggest that this is the best way or guide me to
a better way. Many thanks!
cheers, Jim

believed to be clean.