[BlueOnyx:03347] Re: Ready to CMU from BQ to BX

Jim Dory jdory at nomealaska.org
Fri Jan 15 19:19:20 -05 2010

On 1/15/2010 1:32 PM, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
> Jim Dory wrote:
>
>>    Hopefully someone can suggest that this is the best way or guide me to
>> a better way. Many thanks!
>>
> What we've done in the past is use raqbackup.sh and set the FTP to the
> new server so you give one command and then go get some coffee or a bite
> to eat.  When you come back, everything is already transferred to the
> new box, and you just cmuImport it, load up the DNS, and shut the old
> box down.

Thanks, makes more sense that way. I tested it and raqbackup.sh did send
over all the files to the new server. I'm not sure I messed something up
though - I created a user on the new server called backup but didn't
think to prevent it from creating a home directory. So the directory
/home/backup, which existed before, became owned by user backup. Will
this create any problems? What was the ownership as default?

Anyway, I set the TARGETDIR="/home/restore" in raqbackup.sh. I then ran
raqbackup.sh and it did its thing, but instead of ftp'ing the files into
/home/restore, they went into /home/backup.  I had chown'd /home/restore
to the user/group backup. So it took me a bit to figure out where the
files were - but did find them in /home/backup. Not sure why it is
overriding my TARGETDIR option.

I'll probably wait and do this after my upcoming 3 day weekend so I'll
be more available to clean up after myself on this new install..

cheers, JD

believed to be clean.