[BlueOnyx:03383] Re: Ready to CMU from BQ to BX

Jim Dory jdory at nomealaska.org
Wed Jan 20 14:05:02 -05 2010

On 1/20/2010 7:49 AM, Gerald Waugh wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 19:31 -0900, Jim Dory wrote:
>
>> But when I plugged in the new server - I could receive mail but I got
>> (when trying to send email) an error "relaying denied" regarding the ip
>> address from my computer which is on an internal lan - server is on a
>> DMZ lan. Old server works so I missed a config somewhere - appreciate
>> where I might allow our internal subnets to send mail or whatever it is
>> I'm missing.
>>

> I may have misunderstood this in an earlier response.
> Your email client computers on the internal lan may need a PTR record.
>
> Gerald
>
> _

Looks like it wasn't the alias - now that I can log back into the GUI I
see that cmuImport did put the alias in under Email Server Aliases.

Old server works fine for sending mail, so when I replace it with new
server using same IP address, not sure why it doesn't work. Wouldn't PTR
records be required for old if required for new? These servers are not
doing DNS. A look at /etc/resolv.conf on the old server revealed our two
outside DNS servers and an old internal DNS server no longer online.
Maybe that was enough to let it keep working - there may be records
somewhere from the old DNS server? I reconfigured the old server and new
server now to point to the newer active internal DNS servers as well as
the external ones. I can't really test it until after the work day
though - would you think this is it?

cheers, Jim

believed to be clean.