[BlueOnyx:03405] Re: Shared MySQL - Vsite Deleted

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Jan 22 08:42:19 -05 2010

Hi Dr. Blunt,

> Perhaps a screen pops up and says we are going to delete these files
> "associated with this site regardless if someone else is using them" ??

That's unfortunately pretty hard to do and bordering on impossible, sorry.
After all, the deletion is triggered from the main page that lists all the
sites. When that button is clicked, then there is already a popup that asks if
you really want to delete that site.

If you confirm that, the site (and everything associated with it) will be
deleted. That includes:

- Webspace
- Email accounts and aliasses
- Mailing lists
- MySQL database (if one is associated with the site)
- DNS records (if automatic DNS management is enabled)

You can't really say "delete the site, but leave parts of it around". That
doesn't work, as the database namespace object for that sites MySQL database
and user resides *inside* the database object of the site itself. So if the
site gets deleted, the database gets zapped, too.

The only way to bypass the deletion of an associated MySQL database is if you
disable MySQL in the GUI. So go to "Network Services" / "MySQL" and disable
the MySQL server. That stops MySQL. Then delete the site. The script that
handles the deletion of sites (and the MySQL databases) will check if MySQL is
enabled and only if it is, it'll try to delete the MySQL database, too.

Just stopping MySQL from the command line won't work, though. This needs to be
done through the GUI. Otherwise the site deletion itself may fail.