[BlueOnyx:03438] FTP issues on new sites

bluequartz at ozin.com bluequartz at ozin.com
Mon Jan 25 14:46:58 -05 2010

I have recently asked this on the BlueQuartz mail list without resolution thus my reason for asking again is here.

Hopefully someone can help.

Consider this on my older BlueQuartz server:

I create a new site: test.testy.com
I create an admin user for that site called testy

I FTP to the server and login as testy. I then navigate to /web and attempt
to do anything file related - but as an example I attempt to rename
index.html to index.html.old

I get:

500 Rename /web/index.html.old: Permission denied

However if I grant testy shell access and then login as testy using SSH I
can successfully navigate to the same directory and rename at will which
is to be expected.

The user/group permissions seem to be ok, look:

[root at t3 /]# groups testy
testy : users site7 site-adm

[root at t3 /]# ls -all /home/sites/test.testy.com/web
total 20
drwxrwsr-x  3 nobody site7 4096 Jan 17 14:49 .
drwxrwsr-x  6 nobody site7 4096 Jan 17 14:50 ..
drwxrwsr-x  2 nobody site7 4096 Jan 17 14:49 error
-rw-rw-r--  1 nobody site7 6842 Jan 17 14:49 index.html

testy is a member of site-adm and of site7 and the site7 group has rw
permission to index.html

So what is wrong with FTP?

I have tried similar on my newer blueonyx server and everything works as
expected. The permissions seem to be identical with the original files owned
by nobody and the appropriate site group, and the particular site admin also
being a member of that group. FTP by the particular site admin on the newer
server allows creation, deletion and editing of files as expected.

Given that the permissions are correct on the broken bluquartz server and
that using the same user to SSH in on the broken server does allow file
manipulation, I have to conclude that this is not a file permission issue
but in fact a FTP configuration issue due to an update at some point.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve this please?

Many thanks

Jason