[BlueOnyx:04867] Re: vsite resolving to first site

David Booth david at goulburn.net.au
Thu Jul 1 17:22:20 -05 2010

From: Kirk Gildroy
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 7:58 AM
To: blueonyx at blueonyx.it
Subject: [BlueOnyx:04862] Re: vsite resolving to first site

I appreciate the prompt reply.  I do have DNS entries with Network Solutions for both www.mydomainname.org and mydomainname.org for outside resolution and I also have them entered on my Win2k3 inside DNS servers for inside resolution.  Hit the FQDN of www.mydomainname.org and I hit the proper site so Apache must be resolving properly at that point but why not for mydomainname.org?

> From: mstauber at blueonyx.it
> To: blueonyx at blueonyx.it
> Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 23:01:27 +0200
> Subject: [BlueOnyx:04860] Re: vsite resolving to first site
>
> Hi Kirk,
>
> > I have two sites on a box sharing the same IP address as the box itself.
> > I do not have DNS enabled on the box although all the entries for the
> > sites are in the primary services via Automatic DNS setting in Site
> > Management. The problem is that trying to hit the second site using
> > domain only (no www), it gets redirected to first site. I have eliminated
> > anything external by plugging directly into the box and putting the proper
> > entries into the windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file. Any help is
> > much appreciated.
>
> It is a DNS issue. When you have multiple sites on the same IP, then Apache
> needs to resolve the DNS in order to be able to redirect your visit to the
> desired page.
>
> If it cannot resolve the domain name, then it will simply point the visit to
> the primary site instead.
>
> Entering the domain name into your Windows host file will not help, as Apache
> on your server still needs to be able to resove the DNS and if the domain you
> want to browse to has no correct DNS entries, then this won't work.
>
> Work around:
>
> 1.) Under "System Settings" / "TCP/IP" enter the IP address of your server as
> DNS server.
>
> 2.) Activat the DNS server on your BlueOnyx.
>
> 3.) Create DNS records for your Domain based on this guide
>
> http://www.solarspeed.net/otrs/public.pl?Action=PublicFAQ&CategoryID=3&ItemID=16
>
> 4.) Configure your Windows network so that it uses the BlueOnyx DNS server for
> all DNS queries.
>
> Then it should work until you get official DNS entries somewhere upsteam.
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber

You must include mydomainname.org as a web server alias for www.mydomainname.org
Do this in Site Management - Services - Web - Web server aliases

If you want other.mydomainname.org to resolve to www.mydomainname.org then include that too, and add an A record in DNS for it with the same IP address.