[BlueOnyx:04967] Re: 5106R YUM updates (suPHP)

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Tue Jul 6 17:39:26 -05 2010

On 6/07/2010 3:34 AM, Michael Stauber wrote:
>>  Dovecot?!?!?!? What does dovecot want with port 81??
>>
>  I've seen that happening sometimes, too. With all kinds of services - not only
>  dovecot. No idea why other services are sometimes so greedy and try to grab
>  port 81. :o/

This one caught me out badly recently. I have a box @ a remote DC. The
end client is using this box for DNS hosting only. Being a good security
conscious admin, I locked down all external ports other than port 81 for
admin. Even SSH was locked out at customer request.

This worked well for a couple of months. Then one day, after services
were restarted by CCE, something else took ownership of port 81, and
admserv refused to start. Site visit required.

This problem is an old one, and happens infrequently on old BQ boxes as
well. I've never been able to track this problem down to its source, but
I know where to look when it pops its ugly head up... Has anyone else
seen this? Any clues or ideas on where the root cause of this NASTY bug
is?

Greg.

|   / \   Greg Kuhnert, gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au               |
|<   o>  Compass Networks - Pointing you in the right direction      |
|   \ /   Come see us for BlueQuartz / BlueOnyx modules&  Support.    |