[BlueOnyx:05112] Re: /usr/bin/sa-update

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jul 27 05:52:48 -05 2010

Hi Steffan,

> Argument "1.39_01" isn't numeric in subroutine entry at /usr/bin/sa-update
> line 83.\
>
> The fix is to change /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Tar.pm
>
> $VERSION                = "1.39_01";
> should be
> $VERSION                = 1.39_01;
>
> Any idee to put this in yum so i and other peaople dont have to go trough
> every server manualy ?

Yeah, I followed the upstream discussion of that perl-Archive-Tar RPM debacle
and am still hoping they fix it upstream.

The next issue is that their perl-Archive-Tar 1.39 is really a 1.40 with a
"downgraded" version number. See the changelog:

* Thu Jun 03 2010 Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano at redhat.com> - 1.39.1-1.el5.1
- cleaning spec and nvr
- Related: rhbz#595733

* Wed Jun 02 2010 Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano at redhat.com> - 1.40-1.el5.1
- update to real version 1.39_01, but for rpm updates, it will be 1.40
- Resolves: rhbz#595733

* Sat May 29 2010 Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano at redhat.com> - 1.40-1
- update to 1.40
- Resolves: rhbz#595733

* Wed Sep 20 2006 Robin Norwood <rnorwood at redhat.com> - 1.30-1
- Bump to 1.30

So I really wonder WTF they're doing there. They probably don't know
themselves anymore.

I'll give it another week and if it's not fixed, I'll release our own perl-
Archive-Tar to the BlueOnyx YUM repository. It ain't that critical anyway, as
"sa-update" still works. It just throws that error message to console whenever
it runs.