[BlueOnyx:04424] Re: can't stop this attack

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Fri May 7 04:31:31 -05 2010

Hi Gerald.

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 11:47 -0500, Gerald Waugh wrote:
>> I put the IP in hosts.deny
>> I put the IP in iptables
>> Still keeps coming, uses different ip's on server and different users'
>> I even stopped xinetd, but still keep coming

>> ideas?

Hi Gerald.

Let me ask you a question. Theoretically, pam_abl should block these
attacks automagically... What damage is the attack causing? Are you
concerned about load on your box, or about the possibility of a security
breach? If load is not a problem, just ignore it. pam_abl should keep em
out. If you are worried about load, give dfix a look. It will
dynamically create firewall rules to block these attacks... (This is
what I originally created it to do).

Regards,
Greg.

|   / \   Greg Kuhnert, gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au               |
|<   o>  Compass Networks - Pointing you in the right direction      |
|   \ /   Come see us for BlueQuartz / BlueOnyx modules&  Support.    |