[BlueOnyx:04439] Re: Suggestion to Change Location of Domain MySQL Databases

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Mon May 10 18:40:56 -05 2010

On 11/05/2010 9:27 AM, MuntadaNet Webmaster wrote:
> By default, mysql databases are located in /home/mysql.  May I
> suggest that they get located in site directory
> (/home/sites/www.mydomain.com/) with a symbolic link in the
> /home/mysql directory.  This way, the site quota will be tapped and
> when you want to move JUST A site, it will get backed up in that
> process when you do a cmuExport -n www.mydomain.com.

At first glance, this seems like a trivial enhancement. I looked at it a
while back.... Here are a few reasons why I did not proceed....

   * Just moving the files to /home/sites/www.mydomain.com/ will not get
it counted in the site quota.
   * File ownership also needs to be changed for the file group. Then,
should we change the file owner to be a specific user like the log owner
in each vsite? Then, we'd also need to put the REAL mysql user in each
vsites group so the mysql process could still access the files... Its
starting to get messy already.
   * Database backups with cmuexport will not necessarily be any use to
you, unless you shutdown the database. You have to remember that the
database has these files open at all times, and is constantly making
updates...
   * What about innodb files - Not all data is in the www.mydomain.com
directory - so a restore will not give you a full working database anyway.

At the time, I decided it was not worth the headaches... Someone else
may have tried - but is it worth it?

|   / \   Greg Kuhnert, gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au               |
|<   o>  Compass Networks - Pointing you in the right direction      |
|   \ /   Come see us for BlueQuartz / BlueOnyx modules&  Support.    |