[BlueOnyx:04448] Re: Sendmail.cf changes

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue May 11 07:23:25 -05 2010

DD wrote:
> Hi Rickard,
>
> One of our clients has McAfee scanning the server which identifies an
> EXPN/VRFY vulnerability and requires:
>
>     O PrivacyOptions=goaway
>
> in Sendmail.cf, otherwise they class it as a level 3 vuln and the client
> could lose their McAfee badge.

Oh.  Would this be from the same Mcafee that caused hundreds of
thousands of systems to crash a couple weeks ago?
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/04/mcafeebungle/

Or would this be the Mcafee that tricks customers into selling their
credit card information?
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/04/mcafeelawsuit/

'cause I get confused which one is which.  I have so little love for either!

To answer your initial question, you cannot make a change in sendmail.cf
and have it stick through updates.  So you need to make your change in
sendmail.mc instead, then recompile the .cf, then restart Sendmail.
That should put you on your way.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services