[BlueOnyx:04510] Re: Aventurin{e} Servers

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Sun May 16 12:40:32 -05 2010

On 16/05/2010 18:09, "Michael Stauber" <mstauber at blueonyx.it> wrote:

Hi Colin,

> 2. AMD or Intel? Which processors give the most 'bang per buck'?

I'd go Intel for that one.

> 3. What is the max size SATA the current versions of Aventurin{e} will
> support?

Same as CentOS. The limiting factor at the moment is GRUB 0.9X, which has
issues booting off disks larger than 2TB. If you need that much diskspace, the
typical work around is to boot off a reasonably sized disk and mount the >2TB
disk as extra storage. Or use a hardware controller that allows you to "slice"
the >2TB storage into "simulated" disks of smaller size.

> 4. The cases support up to 4 drives - how will Aventurin{e} configure
> these?

Same as BlueOnyx. If it sees 4 physical drives, it will set them up as RAID
0+1. So if you throw in 4 drives with 1TB, you'll get mirrored 2TB. If that's
not your intention, unhook two drives, install the OS and re-connected the
other disks afterwards. That'll give you the standard RAID1 with two extra
disks that you can mount yourself as you see fit.

However: If you can, look into a dedicated RAID hardware controller for best
performance and use it to configure the RAID as you see fit. Onboard
controllers usually have a worse performance than a good dedicated hardware
controller and disk IO is the #1 bottleneck these days.

Thanks Michael - that is really useful.
Now I just need to cut a deal on the Aventurin{e} :D

Regards

Colin