[BlueOnyx:04559] Re: BlueOnyx on VWare EFX

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Wed May 19 04:13:20 -05 2010

On 19/05/2010 5:31 PM, Domain Administrator wrote:
> We're about to deploy BlueOnyx (from the v5.5 20100516 ISO) onto a VMWare ESX 4 server.  I'm reasonably familiar with BlueOnyx but have never deployed an instance under VMWare ESX.  I see from the list traffic that there are some ESX deployments out there.  Would anyone with experience care to share tips, starting points, etc on an ESX installation?  The first question, I suppose, is how do I build a vxf image?  Or do I create a VM with no OS and just install from the ISO?  I do know about the virtual drive size issue (though that may be fixed by now).  We're prepared to dedicate 100MB to the appliance anyway.  Thanks in advance for any tips.

I've played with Blueonyx and Bluequartz on ESX - and had an easy path
with both .... Build is a simple install from ISO. However, I ended up
using Aventurin{e}. I have not done any formal tests - but the
performance out of Aventurin{e} feels like it has more grunt. Certainly
the memory overhead is far lower using Aventurin{e} than ESX.... I liked
it so much.... I ..... well - I didn't buy the company, but I have
become a reseller :)

The down side - you cannot virtualise Windoze on Aventurin{e}. If you
dont want any Windows VM's, have a look @ Aventurin{e} before you do
your final build.

|   / \   Greg Kuhnert, gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au               |
|<   o>  Compass Networks - Pointing you in the right direction      |
|   \ /   Come see us for BlueQuartz / BlueOnyx modules&  Support.    |