[BlueOnyx:04578] Re: Advise on which packages to buy

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu May 20 07:21:08 -05 2010

Reginald wrote:
> I have to buy a couple of packages for BO but what do I need and what not?

Again, software choice is largely a matter of personal preference.  Only
you can be the best judge of what you need!   But if you are looking for
feedback, I'll skip over the ones you've decided you already need and
comment on the others.

> PHP upgrade BlueOnyx
> ---> do I really need this? AFAICT default is PHP-5.1.6 and the
> upgrade is PHP-5.2.13

BlueOnyx will only ever have the same version of PHP that CentOS 5
releases.  The CentOS group has said that will remain at 5.1.6.   If you
have any applications, or plan to have any applications, that require a
higher PHP version, then you will need to upgrade it.  If you don't,
then you don't.

> ---> what if tomorrow another upgrade comes out? do I bring out my wallet again?

That would be a question best asked of the software developer/vendor.

> phpMyAdmin
> ---> similar to above, version 2.9.1.1 is default on BlueOnyx, upgrade
> is for phpMyAdmin-3.1.3

Personally, I don't.  But if you prefer having the latest/greatest, then
you should get it, by all means.

> Automated Backup v2 (BlueOnyx) [*]
> ---> I am not planning on getting it, the BO is installed on a Proxmox
> node and Proxmox allows to make backups, unless someone will advice me
> otherwise

It's a GUI front-end to the raqbackup script and also adds some
flexibility of its own.  I've never used it myself, but we have many
customers who appreciate its convenience.

> APF and BFD [*]
> ---> I guess I really should get this one, right?

If you are not taking other measures to secure the system, then this is
a good start.  Nobody will ever poke fun at you for taking your servers'
security seriously.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services