[BlueOnyx:04581] Re: Hardware Raid Question

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu May 20 09:14:50 -05 2010

Steffan wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a question
> Im thinking of buying a Intel Server
> No i have two options
> 1 supplyer says i can better take a Areca raid controller because the Intel
> Raid controllers (Intel SR2600URLXR server) somethimes has problems with
> linux software and Areca is faster then Intel
>
> The other supplyer says that he never heard abouth that
> Any experiance in this ?

Hi Steffan,
Generally speaking, so long as it is a *TRUE* hardware RAID, you should
be fine.

I would *NOT* trust most of the "onboard RAID" controllers, since they
typically use a software component rather than handle everything native
in the hardware.   Therefore, I would probably go with the
recommendation to use the additional hardware RAID card.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services