[BlueOnyx:04584] Re: Hardware Raid Question

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu May 20 12:27:25 -05 2010

Hi Steffan,

> The areca is a hardware raid with is own cpu
> http://www.areca.com.tw/products/pcietosas01.htm
> So looks like the best option

I don't know that controller, so no idea. It says it runs under Linux, but
gives little extra info. Like: Does it require a special kernel driver that's
not already included in common mainstream kernels? Or do you need to compile a
vendor supplied driver? Or do they include a binary driver only, that will
just work with "stock" RHEL5, but not with custom kernels?

I'd check around a bit more there. When I search Google for "Areca and CentOS"
and start reading up a bit I get the impression that this could be a mixed bag
of troubles.

In my experience you can hardly go wrong with an Adaptec or 3Ware controller.
Most of their controllers are supported on Linux out of the box and they also
provide a pretty serious Linux support as far as drivers are concerned.