[BlueOnyx:04682] Re: SAPI Support in BO

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Sun May 30 08:06:13 -05 2010

Wow. Is this ever typical of the "for charge only" support that nuance (not
to be confused with the fondly remembered Brian's nuonce) is reputed to
provide for its products like dragon and paperport (check amazon reviews for
their products and you'll see lots of other similar opinions). I think I can
safely say it has NOTHING to do with the web server. Period.

SAPI only matters for local applications - like the web browser. Have they
tried another web browser with dragon to see if it magically works? It's
been a while since I used dragon, but then support was only in certain
specific applications that supported sapi. In those that did not fully
support it, only entry or deletion were enabled in most cases. But it's been
a while.

Here is their general sapi support document for developers:

http://download.scansoft.com/NaturallySpeaking/wp_WinAppsCompat_109v2.pdf

The next document is their HTML coding guide:

http://download.scansoft.com/NaturallySpeaking/wp_DNS_HTML_109v2.pdf

The ONLY web site reason I could thing this might not work with Dragon would
be ajax/javascript being used to process each character of the field as it's
typed, changing it (even to the same thing) out from under Dragon. An
example of this would be the rich editing javascript editing applications
which are used in wordpress and a number of CMS's which use some fancy DOM
coding to rewrite the page source to turn a textarea into a iframe with
word-like editing capability (nice bold, italics, etc. buttons). The HTML
coding guide makes it clear this is treated as a "nonstandard window".

If it's a plain-jane text area dragon should work just fine. If it's fancy
wysiwyg text field, not so much.

FYI - I'm pretty darn sure IIS (web browser on windows) doesn't have sapi
integration. It does not do the correction to the text field, the web
browser does.

                Thanks,

                                -Stephanie