[BlueOnyx:05697] Re: Why is my BlueOnyx so unstable?

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Nov 2 11:36:38 -05 2010

Reginald wrote:
> We have BO on 3 webservers. For some strange reason they are all
> unstable, for lack of a better word.
>
> Here is a list of some of the issues we are experiencing:
>
> - installing Automated Backup package purchased from Michael does not
> work, we emailed Michael about it, he is on it. We tried to install
> from command line. It is not working. There is not any error but
> package is not installed.
> - same goes for APF and BFD package

Yikes... multiple packages not installing?  My guess is that's not
because of the package but due to something else.

> - server just goes down, probably because of heavy load (probably
> dictionary attack), disabled spamassasin filter in sendmail and virus
> checking in mailscanner, load seems low now

RED FLAG!  MailScanner?  Where did the MailScanner come from for BlueOnyx?

> - unable to create new users
> - problems with FTP server: cannot connect to a site, this morning it was OK

I'd be looking in the log files for messages having to do with these.
/var/log/messages, /var/log/admserv/adm_error, etc...

> My server admin fixes these problems but they come back.

It may be that your admin is fixing the symptoms but there is something
deeper going on.  I run back to the RED FLAG from above, which is
MailScanner.  How was MailScanner installed on the server?

> I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Is paid support available?

There are individuals and companies on this list that do provide
commercial support options.  Think about SolarSpeed, FrontStreet,
Compass.  We also provide sysadmin service, primarily for customers that
also host with us.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services