[BlueOnyx:05809] Re: yum update stalls

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sat Nov 13 00:20:05 -05 2010

Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi Gerald,
>
>> I think on the initial yum update it has to get the list of mirrors from
>> blueonyx.it
>
> That's right, but I'm still a bit surprised that the pfsense regional filter
> goes by domain to determine where a server is hosted. I'd have expected it to
> use GeoIP or similar, which ties the IP address to certain regions and uses
> that as basis for filtering. Which is usually more accurate, but I can also
> see some benefits of doing it by TLD.

pfSense is a pretty powerful product.  We use it mainly to create VPN's,
as it can literally save thousands of dollars vs. a commercial appliance
but the firewall options are also very robust.  I'm not familiar with a
"block by TLD" function out of the box, but I can think of a few ways to
get it done.

In any event, looks like Gerald found out what was going on.  In all
probability, after the first update you can close up that rule again and
pull all the BX updates off the mirrors if that is what you choose.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services