[BlueOnyx:05516] Re: Zpush 'invalid password' error with iPhone

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Sat Oct 2 03:45:36 -05 2010

  Hi Jeff

On 2/10/2010 5:27 PM, Jeff Jones wrote:
> Had a quick go with setting up zpush for mobile users on our BX box.
> All seemed ok for a few hours, until users reported getting a password
> box pop up with an error about invalid password. Typing in the
> password again does not help. Only rebooting phone sorts problem.

Try looking at /var/log/admserv/adm_error for the period when this
happens. Some of the thoughts below come from what I've seen on my box.
I've finally got it all working the way I want, but there's a few traps
you need to beware of.

1. If your users try to get "large" mail from your server, (bigger than
the admserv php limit), I've seen php bombing out.
2. When PHP croaks, I have seen some nasty side effects. I am guessing a
little, but I think the imap connector is not releasing used memory each
time PHP dies. End result: Memory leak. At one time, admserv was
consuming about 6 gig of ram on my box.

So: Whats the answer? On my box, I am the only zpush user, so I decided
to reduce the max number of apache processes running for admserv... At
least that limits my risk. You can do this in
/etc/admserv/conf/httpd.conf .... but be warned. DONT DO THIS if you
have lots of zpush users!

StartServers       2
MinSpareServers    1
MaxSpareServers   2

Then, I made another change to that file...

MaxRequestsPerChild  40

The above will ensure that each apache process dies every 40 requests. A
bit of a performance hit, but at least the server is alive.

Finally, you can also edit /etc/admserv/php.ini and increase the max
memory to try and reduce the problems with the current memory limit...

Hope that helps,
Greg.

|   / \   Greg Kuhnert, gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au               |
|<   o>  Compass Networks - Pointing you in the right direction      |
|   \ /   Come see us for BlueQuartz / BlueOnyx modules&  Support.    |