[BlueOnyx:05532] Re: Certificate options

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Oct 6 15:44:14 -05 2010

Michael Aronoff wrote:
> I have seen a ton of threads about SSL certificates and the GUI issues.
>
> My question is I am about to setup a cert for a client and am wondering who
> to buy from so the setup is as easy as possible.

You're about to get a lot of opinion. Look out, and YMMV with all.   As
for me, well... I loath Go daddy and have phased out all services from
them.  We no longer use them for registrations, certs or any other services.

I've had very good success with SSL products from Thawte, Geotrust,
Comodo and Verisign.   Corporately, we usually "default" to Thawte
through our OpenSRS partnership.  I have yet to run into trouble with
them, and our customers are typically using their least-expensive
SSL-123 product, which is pretty affordable (retail pricing varies, our
partner pricing is fairly aggressive).

In the old days, I could see a reason to put up with GD and their bad
chains.  Times have changed.

HTH,
--
Chris Gebhardt