[BlueOnyx:07939] Re: Incremental backups

Ken - Precision Web Hosting, Inc kenlists at precisionweb.net
Mon Aug 1 14:36:53 -05 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darrell D. Mobley" <dmobley at uhostme.com>
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 11:25 AM
Subject: [BlueOnyx:07938] Incremental backups

> Nightly, I am shoving about 55GB off-site to another FTP server using
> RaqBackup.sh.  It ties up a lot of resources and network traffic when only
> 1-2 of the sites' data and files actually change.  Are there any users who
> are using RaqBackup.sh to do a local backup and then using RSynch to
> transfer only the files that have changed offsite?

Darrell

It seems like small differences in the .tar.gz files generated by
RaqBackup.sh would cause the rsync to re-transfer many of them.  So, I think
that would mostly negate the transfer savings from using rsync.

Possibly you could run RaqBackup.sh once  a week.
Then use rsync daily for the complete server files (excluding the
/home/raqbackup/ directory ).

----
Ken Marcus
Precision Web Hosting, Inc.