[BlueOnyx:07996] Re: Joomla

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Thu Aug 4 18:51:03 -05 2011

Richard,

Joomla is installed in each site's /web directory and is only for that site.  It also has to have access to a MySQL database for it to work.

You can install it directly in the /home/sites/www.domain.tld/web directory for that virtual site.  Or you can put it in a subdirectory like /web/cms or /web/joomla and put a PHP pointer for http requests to go into that subdirectory.  I learned that trick can be handy when the customer has other big software packages they want on their site, like calendar or scheduling systems.

First create the MySQL database.  And create a MySQL user/password with full access to that database.  (PHPMyAdmin makes that easy when creating a new user - checkmark the box to create a similar named database at the same time).

Then FTP the Joomla zipfile to the /web directory and uncompress (or uncompress locally and FTP the whole Joomla directory tree to the /web directory).  You might have to change ownerships to get it working correctly.  From the command-line, go to the site's /web directory and use "chown apache:site# *".  Replace the # with the site number for that site.

That's all there is to it.  Use a browser to hit that domain's site.  The Joomla configuration setup will come up and lead you through setting up Joomla.

The only other thing I've run into is occasional permissions problems.  I've had to do things like setting permissions to 777 for Joomla directories like /tmp or /modules - so Joomla can write into those directories while installing modules.

Good luck.

Chuck