[BlueOnyx:08040] Thoughts on setup

Aaron Greenspan aarong at thinkcomputer.com
Tue Aug 9 19:13:50 -05 2011

Hi,

In case this helps anyone...

I've spent the better part of the day (week?) trying to get BlueOnyx set
up. I've been using Cobalt-style servers for about ten years now, so I'm
generally familiar with their eccentricities, and I know my way around
Linux.

I have a Sun Fire X2200 AMD-based server that I've been trying to get
set up. First I tried CentOS 5.6 with 5106R, only to learn that it still
uses PHP 5.1.6 and can't be upgraded in any logical fashion. So today I
tried CentOS 6.0 with 5107R.

In both cases the ISO on the BlueOnyx web site that has CentOS bundled
does not work for me. Both times the install process complained of
storage errors (not enough space?), and both times the hard drives in
question were perfectly fine. When I went to the CentOS site and
downloaded the installer directly, I had no trouble (outside of the
ordinary) getting the OS installed. I should note that this particular
model of server has two SATA-I hard drive bays, which I've filled with
identical 250GB Western Digital SATA hard drives, which map to /dev/sda
and /dev/sdb. I'm using software RAID level 1.

Using the tarball installer on 5106R worked pretty much as expected. The
fact that it changed the admin password to "blueonyx" at the end threw
me for a loop for a while--I thought I had locked myself out of the
system--but eventually I figured it out. When everything was up and
running I noticed that any kind of MySQL request would cause the system
to crash, which made using phpMyAdmin impossible.

The tarball installer on 5107R downloaded all the packages it was
supposed to (or at least I think it did), and appeared to complete
successfully, but something is clearly wrong. When I go to the server's
IP I get the welcome page with the BlueOnyx logo and Start button, but
when I click Start I get redirected in a loop through flow.php (part of
Sausalito) to the login page, which immediately redirects me back to the
welcome screen with the Start button.

(Still referring to 5107R) when I reboot the server, it gets stuck and
"CentOS Linux 6.0" once the white loading bar has traveled all the way
across the bottom of the screen at boot time. If I press Alt+F2, I can
sign in at a prompt in text mode, but it's supposed to be loading GNOME
(and it was before I installed BlueOnyx).

I can't access the server's IP from anywhere else on the network, strangely.

The reason I need this set up at all is to upgrade from a server that is
currently running a broken version of BlueQuartz. If BlueOnyx didn't
have the /home-must-be-a-separate-partition requirement (which I don't
understand), I could just do a straight upgrade with the tarball
installer, but of course that's not possible.

I'll keep messing with it, but generally speaking, getting this set up
as been as much of a nightmare as always. I was hoping that in ten years
some progress on usability might have been made, and I realize a lot of
work has gone into keeping things going, but it's clear that there's
much still to be done.

Aaron

Think Computer Corporation <http://www.thinkcomputer.com>

*Aaron Greenspan*