[BlueOnyx:08079] New SL-6.1 ISO image

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Aug 11 21:19:51 -05 2011

Hi all,

I just rolled up a new 5107R ISO image:

http://devel.blueonyx.it/pub/BlueOnyx/ISO/BlueOnyx-5107R-SL-6.1-20110811.iso

I'd need some testers for it to check for the following:

- Does it install on boxes with disks > 1TB?

- Does it still give the "new lv is too large" error message when setting up
partitions?

I hope it does not, because I think I found the source of both issues:

Among the updates that are part of SL-6.1 was a new Anaconda, which is used as
installer on the CD's. There are plenty of interesting fixes in this Anaconda,
such as listed in the RHEL errata on this page:

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2011-0530.html

654360 - anaconda fails to find disks greater than 1TB
677915 - DeviceError: ('new lv is too large to fit in free space', 'sysvg1')
654436 - anaconda list-harddrives command behaviour has changed in RHEL6
702430 - Regression: list-harddrives output not always processable by part
command

These four known bugs caused some grief with previous CD releases and
hopefully that all should be fixed by now. I also implemented several new work
arounds in our kickstart files to mitigate remaining problems.

Something else was changed and I'm not entirely happy with it yet:

Previously the 1st stage installer tried to fetch the network settings from a
DHCP server. Which is fine as long as there is a DHCP server in your network.
If it isn't, a long timeout happened before the install continued. Which is
undesireable.

If I try to hard code some bogus network settings, then the newer Anaconda
complains that the network is unreachable and propmpts with a dialogue that
allows you to configure the network settings.

The same happens if I don't configure network settings in our kickstart
scripts: That "configure network" dialogue pops up. So I left it at that.

Which means: During the install you will be prompted twice for your network
settings:

1.) After the disks have been partitioned
2.) By the initial setup installer after the first reboot and during the 1st
login.

Ultimately I will probably remove the second poll for the network settings,
but for now it has to remain.