[BlueOnyx:08219] Re: Same mess different BlueOnyx version, using scsi drives

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Aug 23 14:08:33 -05 2011

Hi Gerald,

> I inspected the files on the CD to see what I could find and found that
> file /usr/anaconda/storage_device.pl was different on the CD then the
> file in the 0811 on my computer
>
> Looking further I found that I burned a CD with the 0803 iso and marked
> it 0811 iso. <sheepish look w/red face>

It's OK, Gerald. That can easily happen.

And yes: I can see why the older Anaconda didn't work for you. Redhat fixed a
lot of stuff in Anaconda in RHEL6.1. Our SL6.1 CD uses this newer Anaconda as
well. The older Anaconda had a hell of a lot of troubles with all kinds of
disks. It didn't detect disks greater than 1TB, had troubles partitioning
disks and issues when creating LVMs when you used the --grow switch (which we
do). Additionally the command that's usually used to detect hard disks
suddenly reports data back in a different format, which can easily throw off
some kickstart scripts.

> Hooah!!! the 0811 ISO does work.

Very well. I'm glad to hear that.

> BTW, I really did have the problem with CentOS-5.5/6 versions.

Yes, I can imagine. The Anaconda problems started to sneak in sometime late in
the RHEL5 development and our CentOS5 CDs eventually picked them up when I
started to use the newer Anaconda there. Which I had to, in order to be able
to get BlueOnyx installed on some newer hardware. So using the newer Anaconda
there was a typical case of "dammed if you do, damned if you don't" <sigh>.
I'm not sure if there currently is an Anaconda for CentOS5 which works as good
as the one currently in use on the SL6.1 CD.

> Weather, we have broken a 130+ year old temperature record 49 days over
> 100F, last record was 47 days in late 1800's. Biggest worry no rain
> during this period, beginning to look like west Texas here.

Yeah, the weather is acting funny over here as well. We didn't have a real
summer yet. It was too cold and too rainy for too long. Now the last two weeks
it apparently tries to make up for it.