[BlueOnyx:08278] Re: mysql log

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Aug 27 06:37:51 -05 2011

Hi Richard,

> Maybe, because there used to be a trick on the original Colbolt machines
> for  moving the whole log directory due to httpd and maillog entries
> getting too big.  It was something like move /var/log to /home/log, then
> create a symbolic link from to point to it.  Don't know if it works on BX
> because I haven't needed it eons, but just wanted to mention it as an
> option because it will help if all log files are huge.

Yes, nothing speaks against that.  A /var with 4-6 gigs of space is "usually"
sufficient, but of course not in all cases.

However: If the mysql.log gets so big, there are probably tons and tons of
errors logged into it. If that's the case, it may be worth investigating those
leads to see if the MySQL problems can be fixed.