[BlueOnyx:08335] Re: Sendmail failure: World writable directory

Jeff Folk jfolk at qzoneinc.com
Wed Aug 31 08:56:58 -05 2011

On Aug 31, 2011, at 8:29 AM, Richard Morgan wrote:
> chmod 755 /
> chmod 755 /etc
> chmod 755 /etc/mail
>
> Which fixed the problem... even though it seemsed a bit vicious (I should have taken a note of the mode before changing them, but rather keen to see it fixed).
>
> I was just wondering has anyone else seen this problem and what would have caused it?  There were a few updates overnight, but nothing that should have stopped and started sendmail, not AFAIK.

Interesting... I haven't had this problem, but my stock 5107R install has the following line in the M4 conf that would probably prevent it:

define(`confDONT_BLAME_SENDMAIL', `forwardfileingroupwritabledirpath, ForwardFileInUnsafeDirPath, ForwardFileInUnsafeDirPathSafe')dnl

And, the correct permissions according to my stock install are 755 for directories, 644 for files... All owned by root.

I know you didn't state what the permissions were before, but why do you suppose they would have changed?

Jeff