[BlueOnyx:09222] Re: named and authentication problems

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Tue Dec 13 01:49:35 -05 2011

> I solved the DNS issue, it was one of the zones was not added in correctly,
> even though it looked like it was through the gui. Resolution was to remove
> it completely from the gui, and re add it.
>
> If the resolver is not working, how can I check to see why? And how to fix
> it?
> Tnx

Go into the management GUI.  Click SERVER MANAGEMENT at the top.  On the left side - click SYSTEM SETTINGS and TCP/IP.  The second window down is where you list the DNS servers for your BX server to use.

This is not the area for the domains on your box, but the DNS servers your server uses (like your ISP's DNS servers, or the ones in the NOC where your server is located).

If those DNS servers are not set - the most common symptom is a long wait to log in via SSH or FTP.  Its a timeout while the server attempts to do a reverse lookup and get a name for the logs (instead of just the IP).  But once in - switching user doesn't occur any delay.

One thing to remember - if the system you use to SSH from is listed in one of your own DNS server's domains, you'll suffer that delay whenever your own DNS servers are down.

Fix that DNS resolution problem, and your delay will go away.

Chuck