[BlueOnyx:06504] A couple questions about user IDs and directories

James james at slor.net
Tue Feb 15 15:02:59 -05 2011

I have two BlueOnyx servers set up, each of which has some primary sites and
some backup sites, let's call them svr1 and svr2.  Now, srv2 was created
from srv1 using cmuExport/cmuImport.  One thing I didn't expect, and I
gather it's probably the result of the fact that svr1 had some sites that
were created and subsequently removed before the export, is that my
user/group IDs and home directory names don't match in a number of cases.  A
couple examples comparing accounts from each server:

[root at srv1 ~]# grep mydom1 /etc/passwd
SITE5-logs:x:506:505:www.mydom1.com:/home/.sites/33/site5/logs:/bin/badsh
mydom1:x:530:505:MyDom1:/home/.sites/33/site5/.users/57/mydom1:/bin/bash
[root at srv1 ~]# echo ~mydom1
/home/.sites/33/site5/.users/57/mydom1

[root at srv1 ~]# grep mydom2 /etc/passwd
SITE11-logs:x:512:511:www.mydom2.com:/home/.sites/90/site11/logs:/bin/badsh
mydom2:x:525:511:MyDom2:/home/.sites/90/site11/.users/86/mydom2:/bin/bash
[root at srv1 ~]# echo ~mydom2
/home/.sites/90/site11/.users/86/mydom2

[root at srv2 ~]# grep mydom1 /etc/passwd
SITE5-logs:x:506:505:www.mydom1.com:/home/.sites/33/site5/logs:/bin/badsh
mydom1:x:528:505:MyDom1:/home/.sites/33/site5/.users/57/mydom1:/bin/bash
[root at srv2 ~]# echo ~mydom1
/home/.sites/33/site5/.users/57/mydom1

[root at srv2 ~]# grep mydom2 /etc/passwd
SITE10-logs:x:511:510:www.mydom2.com:/home/.sites/48/site10/logs:/bin/badsh
mydom2:x:524:510:MyDom2:/home/.sites/48/site10/.users/86/mydom2:/bin/bash
[root at srv2 ~]# echo ~mydom2
/home/.sites/48/site10/.users/86/mydom2

Looking at the above, you can see that sometimes user IDs are different and
sometimes home dirs are also different.  So, my questions:

1.  Is there any sort of automated process to normalize those between the
two servers without wiping srv1 and re-importing from srv2 (since srv2
wouldn't have had any domains added and removed from the middle of the pack
since its initial import).

2.  If the answer to #1 is "no", would it hurt anything if I changed just
the user/group ids manually and then re-applied proper ownership permissions
to the files belong to those users?  I want to use a third party application
that relies on user/group IDs matching between the two servers for it to
function properly.  The home directory names not matching are an annoyance,
but that's something I can work around.  If I can change the system IDs and
reset permissions without causing issues to anything that BlueOnyx might be
tracking, that would be good enough.

Thanks!