[BlueOnyx:06508] Re: OWM and Spam

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Feb 15 16:34:06 -05 2011

Darrell D. Mobley wrote:
> Ken, I have bl and zen, but no others.  Do any of the ones you recommend block dynamic IP addresses, such as my assigned cable IP from sending mail?  I know with authentication, the server will take the mail, but some of the RBLs that block dynamic IPs wouldn't accept the mail based on that.

You might look into the SORBS "nomail" and "dul" zones.
http://www.sorbs.net/using.shtml

Used directly (ie: not scoring within SpamAssassin) the SORBS lists tend
to be fairly aggressive.  YMMV with regards to falses.

> It also looks like you are hacking sendmail.cf directly.  I thought we were supposed to make changes in sendmail.mc and remake the file?  Won't the hand changes get lost?

In the Cobalt days, working in sendmail.cf was just how it was done.
Not pretty, but that's what we had.

Later, in BlueQuartz, there came the ability to make changes into the
sendmail.mc, make, restart.  That method is "generally" preferable to
working directly in sendmail.cf, but each sysadmin has their own
preferences.

With BlueOnyx, RBL management was built directly into the GUI, and that
would continue to be my recommendation for the easiest way to handle that.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services