[BlueOnyx:06523] Re: OT: server recomandations

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Feb 18 08:30:41 -05 2011

Søren S. Straszek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need a new server for running blueonyx via aventurine, i am running some high-load e-comerce sites with a lot of mysql usages.
>
> What cpu to go for icore, xeon, amd?
>
> Are there a maximum of memory that the system can use?
>
> What would you recommand.

I've always been a fan of AMD's processors.  I tend to find a lot of
value there.

Off the top of my head, I believe that the 32-bit PAE kernel can handle
64GB of RAM.  That said, I've not seen any performance gains on a
hosting system beyond 6GB RAM.  I've put 8GB RAM in some of our hosting
boxes and they don't perform any differently than those with 6GB.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services