[BlueOnyx:06552] Re: Trouble in the CentOS camp

Steven Howes steve-lists at geekinter.net
Tue Feb 22 18:40:22 -05 2011

On 22 Feb 2011, at 01:43, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
> Fedora is a HORRIBLE platform for BlueOnyx.  Fedora is a fine tool for
> development and arguably for desktop use.  I would never suggest any
> server be run on Fedora (although I'm well aware plenty of folks do).

Couldn't agree more. I don't think the BlueOnyx project would be helped by developing on what would probably be an obsolete platform before it was released. CentOS may die, or more correctly it WILL die. One day. But as with every project there will be a fork somewhere along the way that we can use. As long as these forks are considered as they appear, moving BlueOnyx along with them shouldn't be that painful. It's just jumping between the different forks further down the line that is tricky.

The current disturbances are likely to calm down (given previous OSS fights..). If not, the project wont vanish overnight so there is some thinking time. Jumping to something that is *so* different like Fedora would probably be an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction.