[BlueOnyx:06233] Re: Lame Name Servers

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Mon Jan 3 13:30:26 -05 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 09:04 -0600, Titus Bolton wrote:
> First and foremost, hello all and Snappy Snew Year.
>

> Has anyone had any problems with lame name servers on BQ/BO?
>

> If anyone has had experience in resolving this type of issue I would
> love to hear about it.  I can provide information needed.  One of the
> domains that we're having issues with is comsiteconstruction.com
>

> From DNSStuff we're getting these three failures:
> Lame Nameservers (they don't answer authoritatively for the domain)
>

> Missing Nameservers 2
> ns1.comsiteconstruction.com
> ns2.comsiteconstruction.com
> ns3.comsiteconstruction.com
>

> SOA Record: No valid SOA came back.

Are you sure you have dns enabled?
look at;
  netstat -pan | grep :53
see if named is listening

whois does say ns1/2/3.comsiteconstruction.com are the nameservers
but dig comsiteconstruction.com @ns1.comsiteconstruction.com
gets no response from ms1,ms2,ns3
but that is predictable as the name does not resolve

[root at ns1 var]# telnet comsiteconstruction.com 53
comsiteconstruction.com/53: Temporary failure in name resolution

Try the above using the IP address
or
dig comsiteconstruction.com @ip.ad.re.ss

It may be that the root server changes have not propagated

Gerald