[BlueOnyx:06244] Re: Newbie Install

Jeff Folk jfolk at qzoneinc.com
Tue Jan 4 16:49:57 -05 2011

On Jan 4, 2011, at 3:10 PM, Bart P wrote:

> Howdy!
>
> I recently acquired a RAQ3 with the Cobalt OS on it and want to get it up to modern times with the BlueOnyx setup.

Congrats... and sorry. Just kidding. I love the Cobalt appliances. They are just getting so hard to support.

> It's only got a 10 gig drive, so I plan on swapping it out with a larger one.  It has 256 megs of ram, which I'd like to upgrade as well.
>
> I have some questions about installing BlueOnyx.
>
> Is it possible to extract the .iso to a USB drive and boot/install the RAQ from that drive?  Will I be able to do this all through the LCD display?  The first time I turned on the RAQ after purchase it walked me through the network setup and I was good to go.

Not really possible to boot the RaQ from USB without a custom kernel installed to the ROM. (Strongbolt2 accomplished this, but is no longer supported)
Here is a tutorial I found:
http://www.openskill.be/files/2010/01/cobalt.pdf

Easiest way will be to have a PC (or PC VM on your Mac with a USB to DB9 serial converter). Maybe the crossover cable will work.

Even easier to use that PC to install BO on itself!!