[BlueOnyx:06295] Re: set smtp to allow roaming users?

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Thu Jan 13 13:36:28 -05 2011

In the BX e-mail settings, check-mark the boxes to turn on "SMTP-Auth" and "Submission Port".

SMTP-Auth requires Thunderbird to authenticate before it will accept e-mail for relaying.  By default, it uses the same username/password as the POP connection, so no additional username/passwords have to be added to Thunderbird.

Submission Port in the BX sets it to listen on TCP Port 587.  This gets around the common blockage of TCP Port 25.  And it is easily configured in Thunderbird - just go into the "Account Settings", "Outgoing Server Settings", and tell it to use port 587.

Between those two settings - your users will be able to connect back to their server from anywhere and relay outgoing e-mail.  We do it for many business customers who either don't use us for their Internet connectivity (which means their IPs are not in our BX's allowed networks for relaying), or have customers that travel.  In either case - this works beautifully, whether they are using Thunderbird or M$ Outlook.

Chuck