[BlueOnyx:06336] Re: Cpanel to Blue Onyx move

Ken - Precision Web Hosting, Inc kenlists at precisionweb.net
Wed Jan 19 19:22:35 -05 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet" cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com

> Darrell D. Mobley wrote:
>> I have a new client who is currently on a Cpanel server.  He will give me
>> his Cpanel information so I can back up things for export/transfer.
>
> We've done plenty migrations like this.  One thing you'll want to be
> aware of is that the paths are different, so in the configs for any of
> his scripts, you will want to make the modifications for the correct
> paths.
>
>> He runs osCommerce on his site, with the secure elements of the shopping
>> cart, etc., running on one of his current host's SSL certs.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations for making a Cpanel-to-BlueOnyx
>> migration?
>
> Other than "yes, it's a good thing?"  :)
>
>> The way it is currently set up, the secure URLs look like this:
>>
>> https://secure99.hostdomain.com/~username/...
>>
>> I though I could duplicate that on my BlueOnyx server using the site
>> preview, as it will show up if I were to use:
>>
>> http://web1.myserver.com/www.newsite.com/
>>
>> But if I change it to "https:", it gives a glaring scare-screen to the
>> user
>> and then it changes to the SSL cert on the first site on the server, my
>> hosting company domain, like this:
>>
>> https://www.myserver.com/www.newsite.com/404.html
>>
>> Because I have an SSL cert on my webhosting site's domain, I could put a
>> symbolic link in that site's web document root, but that would open up a
>> whole new can of worms with httpd.conf directives and OpenBaseDir
>> restictions.
>
> Yeah, I would steer clear of that route.  You can do it, but it will be
> messy.
>
>> Can I accomplish by replacing the self-signed certificate on the server
>> itself with a commercial SSL cert without painting myself into a corner,
>> or
>> does anyone else have any other recommendations?
>
> It is possible to do what you're describing.  I'm aware of at least one
> provider on this list that does quite a bit of this and they may be able
> to steer you in the right direction on how to accomplish that.
>
> For my money, I'd just have the customer get an SSL cert for their
> domain and do it "right" to begin with rather than jump through a bunch
> of hoops for what I wouldn't consider to be the right solution.  (I
> never said I wasn't opinionated.)   SSL certs are too cheap ($59 from
> reputable sources, less money from others) to have cost be a concern.
>
> --
> Chris Gebhardt

You could create a directory like
https://secure.somesecuresite.com/www.newsite.com/
or a better option is to gget rid of the www as below.
https://secure.somesecuresite.com/newsite.com/
Some security software installs don't like the extra www. in the url and
give a phishing warning.

Create a directory like that for each site.
Then in the /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/sitexx  for secure.somesecuresite.com
you could add a directive like
 the one below for each directory.

<Directory /home/.sites/132/site21/www,newsite.com/>
#only one line below
php_admin_value open_basedir
/home/.sites/132/site21/web/newsite.com/:/home/tmp:/tmp:/usr/bin/pear:/home/solarspeed/php/bin/pear:/usr/share/pear
#only one line above
</Directory>

They would not be able to ftp to that directory of course.

Or sign up with enom.com and get a $20 ssl cert for each site.

----
Ken M
Precision Web Hosting, Inc.
http://www.precisionweb.net