[BlueOnyx:06342] Re: Backup solutions via rsync and single DB dumps

Titus Bolton titus at antennasystems.com
Thu Jan 20 09:13:48 -05 2011

One thing to be wary of when using rsync...

When a file gets renamed on the live server, the backup / load balanced servers don't rename the file.  They make a new one and keep the renamed file.

This can be a potential security issue (for example, if you have some debugging scripts on the server that you rename or move on the live server, they will still be alive and kicking on the backup / load balanced servers.)  Unless, of course, your script takes care of that.  Then you should be good to go.

Kind regards,

Titus Bolton
Antenna Systems & Solutions, Inc.
931 Albion Avenue
Schaumburg, Illinois 60193-4550
United States of America
Phone: +1-847-584-1000   Fax: +1-847-584-9951
http://www.antennasystems.com

GSA Contract Number: GS-35F-0479T
Electronic Counter Measures, Trap and Trace Devices, and accessories.

Watch our network broadcast television interviews on www.youtube.com/antennasystems

Confidentiality note:
This message is the property of Antenna Systems & Solutions, Inc. and contains information which may be privileged or confidential.  It is meant only for the intended recipients and/or their authorized agents.  If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and destroy any printed or electronic copies of this message.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination, disclosure, or copying of this message or the information contained in it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.   Thank you for your cooperation.