[BlueOnyx:07571] Re: Defect HDD

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Jul 1 06:20:51 -05 2011

Uwe Spreckelmeyer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> one of my Blades has a defect HDD and no boot is possible.
> Is there a chance to mount that HDD (LVM) in an other Blade to have a look
> at the data?

Hi Uwe,
My advice is that you're better off restoring from last night's backup
(you DO have a backup, right?) because it will be faster and easier in
my experience.   If for some reason your backup doesn't exist... well
then read on.

You should be able to boot the system using the BlueOnyx (or a CentOS)
CD, but instead of installing, type "linux rescue" at the prompt.  Then
follow the prompts to search for the CentOS installation.  If the drive
is readable at all, then you will be able to mount it to /mnt/sysimage
and then chroot to it to explore.  If you also start the network
interface and specify an IP you will be able to transfer files across
the network.

To mount the drive in another server is a bit more complicated due to
the fact that BlueOnyx uses LVM.  You'll need to again boot from CD in
"linux rescue" mode but DO NOT search for and mount your drive.
Instead, issue this once you get to the command prompt:

lvm vgscan
lvm lvscan
lvm vgchange -a y
lvm pvscan
lvm lvscan
lvm vgchange -a n

Then you can do:
lvm vgrename OLDNAME NEWNAME  (of course, replace OLDNAME and NEWNAME as
appropriate).

HTH

--
Chris Gebhardt