[BlueOnyx:07577] Re: BlueOnyx-5.5-20110621.iso

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Fri Jul 1 12:42:38 -05 2011

Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi Gerald,
>
>> a few versions back (first CentOS-5.5 release)I had trouble with an ISO
>> that crashed using hardware raid congtrollers, even though the raid was
>> disabled. And the standard CentOS-5.5 would load OK,
>> So I created an ISO using the base rpms from CentOS-5.5 and was able to
>> get a useable ISO
>>
>> Now we have CentOS-5.6 and again the system crashes shortly after
>> beginning the install, and again standard CentOS-5.6 will install OK.
>
> Gerald, of course I'm curious why this happens and would like to "fix it" if I
> knew what causes the problems you're running into there.
>
> Also, what make and model is the host controller you're using there? And do
> you get any error messages in one of the cosoles during CD install? You can
> switch between the consoles during CD install the usual way by pressing
> CTRL+ALT and the function keys F1 to F12. Some of the consoles display helpful
> information like what Anaconda does at the moment, or other logging
> information. CTRL+ALT+F1 returns to the standard console where the installer
> runs.
>
> If the CD-installation crashes while you're still installing the OS, then the
> culprit is probably with the Linux kernel that comes with the CD and which is
> used to boot a mini-Linux from which the installation is performed. It could
> be that it identifies the controller (or another piece of hardware) wrong and
> then croaks when trying to initialize the kernel-driver for said hardware.
>
> Or it is with the Anaconda installer that is performing the installation from
> within this mini-Linux, wich also performs various tasks that deal with the
> identification of hardware.
>
> It is also possible that the ISO got corrupted during download or burning.
> That would be easy to check, if you would boot off the ISO and instead of
> hitting return and starting the install, type "linux mediacheck" to check the
> checksum of the ISO.
>
> But if it's really an issue between the kernel and/or Anaconda on the 5.6 ISO
> and your RAID host controller, then for testing purpose I could roll up a 5.6
> ISO for you with the kernel and Anaconda from one of the 5.5 CDs that you
> confirm as working for you.
>
> I'd simply need to replace the "images" and "isolinux" directories on the
> latest 5.6 CD with one from a 5.5 CD that works for you. That is much more
> straightforward than taking and older CD and replacing all the RPMs and
> updating the comps.xml file on it. If the booted (and fully YUM updated)
> BlueOnyx runs fine, then we can rule out that the problem is with one of the
> RPMs that the ISO did install.

thanks for the response.
I haven't figured out exactly what happens.
and I did try one of the later 5.5 ISOs and it didn't work either.
I was mistaken about that.

I tried /BlueOnyx-5.5-20110313.iso, it installed but no FTP available
same issue Eiji had.

so I'm still using the custom 5.5 I built in May 2010 revised Dec 2010
as I recall I took a standard CD1 5.5 and used the base rpms to replace
the ones on the BlueOnyx cd.

I'll look into this further and come back.
the controller is LSI hardware, RAID is disabled, but this hardware is
the only hard drive control, Dell PE-1850 server SCSI drives

--
Gerald