[BlueOnyx:07631] redirect a specific 3rd party mailbox locally?

Roy Urick rurick at usa.net
Wed Jul 6 22:00:49 -05 2011

We have a unique situation where our company is in the process of
transitioning from one 3rd party provider to another (unrelated to
email/IT).

Originally users would email changes to data at oldprovider.tld. They are all
instructed to stop emailing that provider immediately, and instead email
changes to data at ourdomain.tld. which is then copied to the appropriate 3rd
party  (old or new, depending on the situation) through our email ticketing
software (which has its own internal SMTP engine). For now we still need to
forward the appropriate changes to the old provider BUT ONLY THROUGH THE
TICKETING SOFTWARE (so we have a transaction record of what was sent so it
can be mirrored on the new provider at the same time), and eventually all
email will get forwarded to the new provider with the switchover controlled
by the team that manages the ticketing server.

Presently we know that some users are ignoring the mandate to stop emailing
data at oldprovider.tld. We would like to be able to somehow redirect any
emails handed to the server destined for data at oldprovider.tld to be
redirected to a local mailbox so we can follow up with the user who is
violating the policy to break them of the habit (my vote is waterboarding as
that's the only thing that will get their attention).

The problem lies in the fact that our mail server needs to legitimately send
to that domain; at least to other addresses EXCEPT data at oldprovider.tld
(such as bob at oldprovider, support at oldprovider, etc) . So I cant simply setup
a local mail server alias for that domain and capture ALL mail from our
users to the 3rd party domain.

I think I can setup a smart relay on our email ticketing software to deliver
direct to the domain, bypassing our BO server, but I cant block all outbound
communications with the old provider to facilitate communication between our
management teams. (and I cant force our managers to communicate via the
ticketing software.)

We also have a barracuda that sits in the middle of both outbound and
inbound traffic. My internal IIS SMTP server hands off all messages to it
(for logging), which relays through the BO box. Public mail inbound also
lands on the cuda before being handed to the BO.

Am I asking too much?