[BlueOnyx:07653] Re: Solarspeed PHP 5.2.x pkg

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Sat Jul 9 22:07:15 -05 2011

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it>
Sent: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 21:48:51 +0200
Subject: [BlueOnyx:07643] Re: Solarspeed PHP 5.2.x pkg

> Although the differences between PHP-5.1 and PHP-5.2 aren't that big, so this
> hardly won't be necessary. PHP-5.3 is an entirely different matter and most
> older code won't run well on it unless it already has been updated with
> regards to PHP-5.3 oddities.
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber

Oh no!  You've got to be kidding!!

Are you saying Michael - that they've made so many changes in PHP that code written under 5.1 and 5.2 won't run under 5.3?  What absolute STUPIDITY is that?  I thought Micro$oft did stupid things - but this seems to be challenging MS for "King of Duhhhh"!!

Please realize I'm not upset with you Michael.  You've done a great job of helping the BX and open-source communities.  And we all recognizethat you have to work inside the constraints of what comes out in Centos and from the PHP developers.

I'm angry with whoever is in charge of the PHP efforts!  Why in the world would they update later versions of PHP so they won't run older scripts?  Wouldn't that seem to be a base function of any upgrade development - "Don't break what's already out there while trying to improve it!"

I'm upset because we don't have a PHP programmer for our company.  But we have a lot of hosted sites that use PHP, all the way from a  simple script to full-blown PHP-dependent systems like Joomla.

And not having someone who can do these complex PHP upgrades has already affected us!  We already have two virtual BQ servers running -- JUST tosupport PHP code that worked on BQ servers but won't run on a BX.  Now we may be forced to set up separate BX servers, one to run a older BX version with 5.2 support and one to support newer PHP 5.3 sites.

UUHHHGGGG!!  More admin work for me - just to keep separate boxes for different PHP support!!

Any ideas or suggestions??

Chuck