[BlueOnyx:07735] Re: sendmail version

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Jul 20 08:50:18 -05 2011

Gerald Waugh wrote:
> BlueOnyx is currently running sendmail 8.13.1-6
> http://www.sendmail.com/sm/open_source/download/8.14.5
> 8.14.5 is available and has some very good anti-spam features.
> One that I like is, badmx
>
> 2007-01-31 Sendmail 8.14.0 was available Jan 31, 2007.
> Are we running such an old version of sendmail because CentOS does?

Correct.  And I would not anticipate any version "upgrades" - only
patches.  The only work-around would be if the BlueOnyx dev team rolls
its own Sendmail and replaces the CentOS version.  In and of itself,
that's not a show-stopper, but it is more work on an already
hard-working volunteer task-force!   That said, if somebody wanted to
roll it and maintain it, talk to the dev admins... maybe that would be
an option.

> Is it a difficult task to upgrade sendmail on BlueOnyx?

Doing so will take the box out of the standard RPMs, so that may wind up
breaking YUM updates.

The good news: Next-gen BX (the current Beta on SL6) is running Sendmail
8.14.4, so that should get you what you are looking for.  Of course, it
will mean a migration to get it.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services