[BlueOnyx:07804] Re: Open cart and umask

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Sun Jul 24 12:05:52 -05 2011

Let me answer my own question. I'm trying to make files created have default
permissions allowing group write and others read. The default allow rwx for
the owner and nothing for anyone else. Sigh.

In /etc/suphp.conf I made the following change.

; [original] umask=0077
umask=0002

This mask also allows execute as suphp created directories lacked execute
permissions locking out apache from getting php generated images from the
folder created by suphp. Sigh.

May I suggest that files created under suphp might at least, by default,
allow for file creation with group read write execute, and global (other)
read and execute. This way suphp created directories and files (like images)
will be readable by apache.

Now, to be clear - I like the more restrictive permissions. The work fine as
long as suphp is reading the files. But if access is to be from apache as
for an image created by suphp, no-go.

One can add a chmod() php call to the code that creates the files or a
umask() php call to change the default. Great for code I write. I like it.
But much of what runs on my servers is from elsewhere - shopping carts,
CMS's, etc. and many of these create files and feel adding chmod() to the
code is an onerous requirement. I can add this in but then an update comes
out and undoes my fix. I'm sure you all know the cycle...

So, that's my rant for today. At the risk of being a PITA - if there is a
way (and I haven't researched it yet) to set the suphp umask on per-site
basis I'll start to dance in delight.

Thank you all for your attention. If you have opinions or thoughts I am all
ears.

	Thanks,
		-Stephanie