[BlueOnyx:07863] Re: Submission port reset issue

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jul 26 21:38:57 -05 2011

Hi Bill & Joe,

> >>Does anyone know if there's a way to prevent the loss of the
> >>Submission Port setting when Blue Onyx is updated by YUM?  We have
> >>clients using port 587.  Every time the server goes through a yum
> >>update, the Submission Port checkbox is cleared.  As a result,
> >>numerous users cannot send mail until the setting is reset to yes.
>
> It happens to me too.  I have to check frequently, and if I forget, my
> customers certainly remind me!

If that happens, then your server doesn't have a dedicated /home partition.

So you probably didn't install from the CD and used the TAR-ball installer
instead. Now IF you installed from the TAR-ball installer, then it warned you
about the missing /home partition, but apparently you somehow managed to
ignore that warning, sorry.

The thing here is: BlueOnyx needs a dedicated /home and expects it to be
there. If it is missing, a hell of a lot of work arounds need to be made in
order to retain the ability to create sites.

There is a CCE constructor named ...

/usr/sausalito/constructor/base/blueonyx/51_set_default_services.pl

... which is part of this RPM: blueonyx-cd-installer

If no /home partition is present, it assumes that this is a first time startup
of CCE and in that case it then performs a few configurational steps that are
usually ONLY done during first startup of a fresh BlueOnyx server. Like
enabling Sendmail, POP3 and IMAP and MySQL.

If it runs, it will also - as a side-effect - turn off POP3S and IMAPs, as
well as SMPTPS.

Solution: Short of reinstalling *with* a dedicated /home partition, the
constructor ...

 /usr/sausalito/constructor/base/blueonyx/51_set_default_services.pl

... can be deleted. It won't come back during updates, so that will solve the
problem that the email related services reset on every CCEd restart.