[BlueOnyx:07920] Re: Software RAID rebuild faster

Christoph Schneeberger cschnee at box.telemedia.ch
Sat Jul 30 05:50:54 -05 2011

Generally said, make sure that only little or even better no writes and
reads happen during sync (shutdown daemons and processes if you can
afford it).
Most probably the underlying hardware speed is your bottleneck, but you
can play with the following 2 parameters to see if you can speed up the
syncing a bit (they do what you actually tried with renicing):

/proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_max
/proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_min

In most cases they are set as 200000 and 1000 respectively. Upping the
max won't help much, but upping the min value can speed things quite a bit.

HTHTH*,
Christoph

* HopeThisHelpsTheHoping