[BlueOnyx:07227] Re: Can't delete virtual sites since mailman

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu May 5 21:29:50 -05 2011

Hi Darrell,

> If that’s a concern, then using siteX_db as the default for MySQL databases
> in the GUI is also problematic.

It is indeed problematic, as that association will be broken when you CMU-
migrate. For the MySQL module the "siteXX" sounded like a good idea back when
it was introduced, but it probably isn't.

All in all I like the optional prefix idea for user accounts. It could be
carried over for MySQL databases and mailing lists as well.

Example: When you create a new site, the input mask will then also allow to
specify an optional prefix for this site. If (and only if) a prefix is
defined, it becomes mandatory and all (new) user accounts, mailing list and
MySQL databases of that site will be prefixed with the specified alphanumeric
prefix.

However, adding a prefix to an existing site or changing an already existing
prefix later on is a bit problematic. I may allow it and it'll then affect all
new accounts, lists and databases. But it won't add the new prefix to existing
accounts by renaming them. I'll also have to see how CMU deals with this.
Because if the prefix is mandatory and an a site has legacy accounts w/o
prefix (or an old prefix that was in effect earlier), then the CMU-import of
those accounts may fail. Which is not really what we'd want. :p