[BlueOnyx:07259] Re: To suPHP or not to suPHP

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon May 9 18:23:58 -05 2011

Hi Darrell,

> I have clients that want safe hosting.  Who doesn't?  I have clients that
> likes user-webs.  Who wouldn't?
>
> What is the best way to have safe hosting, permission-wise, that still
> allows user-webs?

It's one of the limitations of suPHP that makes it impossible for us to allow
user-webs when suPHP is enabled. The suPHP configuration needs to be given a
directory path where it can find the /web. The user webs are unfortunalety
located outside the path of the public /web directory. They're not even "near
enough" (path wise) to just paint with a wider brush when specifying the path
for suPHP.

The only way how we could fix this would be by entirely changing the path
where user-webs are stored in the directory structure. But that then opens a
can of worms that we'd rather not want to open.

Symbolic links can serve as a work around, but I wouldn't want to rely on them
as a method of how BlueOnyx handles suPHP.

I'd probably give those few people who want user webs a subdomain instead. Not
a "subdomain" via the BlueOnyx GUI, but a separate Vsite named
"username.site.com". That site could have email disabled and could have a
separate FTP user just for uploading the web stuff.

Which isn't ideal either, I know.